My Photo
Name:
Location: Carrollton, Georgia, United States

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Illuminate the NO's in their vacancy signs...

So the bed did arrive, and it's amazing! Our bedroom actually looks like a bedroom instead of leftovers from a garage sale. It's unreal what a difference it made. I came home from work yesterday to find books scattered in a semi circle at the foot and suspiciously rumpled covers....Norm apparently likes the new bed as well.

On the down side, along with the bed came 10 boxes of stuff from my childhood, my mom likes to spring this kind of stuff on us without warning. Everything from the band I wore at the hospital to my softball uniform and Awanas stuff. I threw everything away except for one teddy bear that wasn't old and icky, two stuffed pigs, and an engraved silver cup.

It was VERY painful. I cried the whole time. Why is it that even good memories hurt?

Despite the difficulties though I got it all done in 2 and a half hours. I just had to make the decision....do I want to save this stuff for no other purpose than to have my children go through it when I die? okay then, out it goes. It's all just stuff. It took my quite some time to determine that throwing away the things doesn't mean I'm throwing away memories. I'm just tossing out the musty smelly symbols of those memories.

I did find several letters from Rebekah and Elisabeth from when we were all about 10-12...that was pretty fun. Probably my favorite line was from one of Elisabeth's lamenting the end of a beach trip......"Farewell blissful summer holiday!"

She was the coolest 11 year old I've ever know :)

I also love that Rebekah used the word "annually" to indicate something she did every year.

They just don't make 'em like they used to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

ha ha ha, of course they wrote letters like that.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home