My Photo
Name:
Location: Carrollton, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Let the little children come

So I visited with the kindergarten class that I will be working with if all goes well. I will find out for sure in a couple of hours. It's a long process apparently. At any rate that experience has further solidified my desire to teach my own children at home.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that you can't hit a child that is not your own and that you cannot let them run about the school with markers doing whatever the heck they want, but these are five and six year olds that spend all day being told not to play or goof off, to behave like adults. So while I understand that this method is probably necessary since they are trying to control several hundred children, I do not believe that it is the best way for a child to grow up.

If a five year old little girl comes running up and jumps into my arms I refuse to drop her and demand she line back up. By golly I'm going to hug her and probably flip her upside down and tickle her....then set her down and tell her she needs to line up before we both get in trouble. I know I won't be able to indulge that very much once I actually work for the school because if you let all of them do that then you lose the ability to make them all sit still for a lesson on the alphabet.

I know they need to maintain some sort of order, but once I have kids.....it's hugs and games all day long. It may include games like "help mommy sort the laundry" or "get the grape juice out of the gi before daddy comes home" but still....I refuse to let other people spend that much time with my kids at such a young age....I'm jealous and selfish, and I don't want to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home