My Photo
Name:
Location: Carrollton, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Second Chances

When I was thirteen or fourteen years old a small bird called a carolina wren flew into a glass door at my house. It quickly became clear that the bird was not okay. I flew to my room and grabbed a shoe box stuffed a towel in it and put the bird in the box. I asked pleaded and then begging my parents to call the wildlife rehab center. They refused. It's only a bird and wouldn't survive anyway. Suddenly the little wren went crazy for just a minute, then the sound from inside the box stopped. I spent the next hour in my closet sobbing uncontrolably until I couldn't cry anymore and went to bed.

Eight years later...

I'm walking into work today at my boss' house and hear a sound coming from the corner of the garage. It must be a mouse, they've been having a problem with those lately. I look around and find the source of the commotion. There on a small sticky mouse trap, is a very distressed carolina wren. Suddenly I'm 14 again crying in a closet...I have to save this bird! I inspect the situation and grab a glass of water hoping the cold water will lossen the goo that holds the poor bird entangled to the pad. After 15 minutes and very VERY gentle manipulation the wren is free, albeit covered in goo and missing it's tail and most of its flight feathers which are still stuck to the pad from where it had tried to free itself before I got there. I call the wildlife rehab center, the same one I wanted to call eight years ago. They said there's nothing they can do, flight feathers don't grow back, she'll never fly again, turn her loose and let it go. No way in hell buddy! I spent the next half an hour cleaning the left over goo so that she could at least walk and flap what was left of her wings, turns out she has more feathers left than I thought but she still won't fly. I also quickly discovered that without the goop holding her toes together she can run, fast. I spent the next twenty minutes chasing a flightless wren through the house. So now nestled in a towel filled shoebox next to me sleeps a tired and crippled, but healthy little bird. She was given a second chance at life, and I was given a second chance to save one...I'll buy a cage on the way home from work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home